Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Ends of the Earth

Today is my husband's 60th birthday and I've been thinking a lot about our journey together over the last week.   In the midst of this, I've been obsessed with a song that I listen to whenever I can.  It's called "Ends of the Earth" by Lord Huron, an indie-folk band based in LA.  The song is about someone who wants to go explore, and conquer, unknown lands and he's asking someone if they would follow him to the ends of the earth.

The description of the journey struck me as a metaphor for how I see my health journey.  The song starts out with
Oh, there's a river that winds on forever
I'm gonna see where it leads
Oh, there's a mountain that no man has mounted
I'm gonna stand on the peak 
Out there's a land that time don't command
Wanna be the first to arrive
No time for ponderin' why I'm-a wanderin'
On while we're both still alive
It closes with this
I was a-ready to die for you, baby
Doesn't mean I'm ready to stay
What good is livin' a life you've been given
If all you do is stand in one place 
I'm on a river that winds on forever
Follow 'til I get where I'm goin'
Maybe I'm headin' to die but I'm still gonna try
I guess I'm goin' alone 
Here's the video..

(and the link for you mobile folks...http://youtu.be/O42EKFw99yQ)

As I said on Facebook, regardless of what this health journey brings, I know Alan will be with me...pushing me, pulling me, carrying me as needed...while we laugh together at every step along the way.  I know he'll follow me to the ends of the earth and I know I'm not going alone.

Happy Birthday, BPK!

No comments: