Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Limits

Today, I'm following along as a friend competes in an Ironman race in Louisville.  It reminded me of this Radiolab episode called "Limits" http://www.radiolab.org/story/91709-limits/ that I listened to several years ago at the recommendation of my son-in-law, Sean.  It talks about the limits of physical endurance and mental capacity.

Sean has always been great at finding media that I would like...this Radiolab episode, the Tig Nataro standup set, my new favorite artist Jason Isbell.  I've talked a lot about the role of Al, Amy and Claire in my recovery but Sean was there every step of the way doing what he does best...being a strong and quiet force contributing when he could and supporting others, like Amy, so they could as well.

The first 10 minutes of the show talk about Julie Moss' Ironman race in 1982.  Long story short, she wasn't really prepared for the race but ended up leading the race and became attached to the idea of winning.  She became severely dehydrated, couldn't even stand anymore and ended up crawling the last 30 yards.   She kept going even after seeing a competitor pass her, knowing that she wouldn't win but still wanting to finish. You can watch the painful and inspiring footage here http://youtu.be/VbWsQMabczM

Here is an excerpt from her Radiolab interview as she described her feelings after she fell--
"My life was going to be different; I mean I felt my life changing.  I made a deal with myself, a deal was struck.  And I don’t care if it hurts, I don’t care if it’s messy, I don’t care how it looks, I would finish. I would finish……It was a pivotal moment in my life. That voice, that I hadn’t ever called upon that just said, 'Keep moving forward'.” 
 I thought about this story a lot during my treatment and recovery.  Last night, at a fundraising event to fight brain cancer, I was talking to some folks I'd just met about my journey.  Like many people who hear my story, one of them wondered what it was that kept me going, that gave me the strength to get through treatment and have such a strong recovery.

I don't know everything, but one thing I do know is that, like Julie Moss, I found that voice.  Pretty much from the beginning, it was there.  I think knowing about stories like Julie's and others with inspiring stories about overcoming physical limitations gave me an idea of the possible.  And, perhaps, my competitive nature told me, if they can do THAT, I can do THIS.

Sean and Amy kept reminding me of the movie "Meet The Robinsons" with the theme of Keep Moving Forward.  http://youtu.be/FeBLi81708U  I even watched it in the hospital.

As you can see, I heard that message "Keep moving forward" a lot....so that's what I did.

(To my cycling buddies, if you have time, listen to that entire Radiolab episode.  The part about the Ride Across America race that starts at about 16:30 is pretty inspiring, funny and crazy.)






No comments: