Pages

Friday, October 09, 2015

Kath's Cath Update

I've had lots of discussions with my Medical Advisory Board (MAB) about the need to have the cardiac catheterization to evaluate my possible Constrictive Pericarditis.  Remember, my cardiologist recommended this test so that he could either rule out the condition or give him a better set of data from which to manage the condition over time.  It would not result in any treatment or recommended lifestyle change for me.

My MAB consists of:

  • Husband, ICU Nurse
  • Daughter, Nurse Practitioner
  • Brother in law, Internal Medicine Physician
  • Oncologist, Oncologist :)
  • Oncologist's Nurse Practitioner (you get the drift)
  • Sisters in law, 3 nurses including a CVICU nurse
After lots of discussion, I've decided not to have the cath done.  It's an expensive, invasive and risky procedure and the results wouldn't change anything.  As good ole Dr. Tom Bishop would say, you collect data so it can serve as a rational basis for action.

They're going to monitor my heart via MRI every 12 months and IF they notice a change in the structure, then have a cath and determine if surgery is needed.  That surgery would require cutting a "window" in my pericardium so, needless to day, I'd prefer to delay that as long as possible.

Bottom line, no cath for Kath.  In the meantime, he said I can keep doing what I'm doing.  He said the condition is "self-limiting" which means if I stress my heart too much, I just faint.  That's not bad.  My stupid human trick I learned when recovering from my stem cll transplant is how to recognize I'm starting to faint and prevent it.  I did it on the Millenium Force rollercoaster, I'm sure I can do it on the bike or in my workout classes.

All that other stuff I listed in my last post, I'm going to get busy doing THAT!

No comments: