Pages

Monday, April 08, 2013

Loooong day 1

I didn't sleep well last night and came into the day tired. Everything went well. Central line placed with no problem...conscious sedation is a wonderful thing. I was able to eat a little dinner.

Al brought Claire in for a visit which was nice. My nurse today, Tom, was so diligent about explaining what will happen and ideas about how I can do well through this mentally as well as physically.

He shared this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOj0zjPzg-c&sns=em

and said the reason the runner, Billy Mills, was able to recover from the other runner's interference is because he had visualized so many times how he would perform at the end of the race that his mind willed his body to do it.

When things get bad next week, Tom encouraged me to keep my focus on what I'm hoping to achieve and to remember that a small step forward is better than standing still or going backward.

I had my chemo at 8 and the protocol is to eat ice for 6 hours to prevent mouth sores. the last thing I need is anything interfering with my ability to take in calories. So, here I am, watching the NCAA Championship game and chewing ice until 2 am...and trying to stay awake.

No comments: