Pages

Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Stem Cells for Easter

No, its not traditionally what the Easter Bunny brings in the baskets for children at Easter, but for me, stem cells and the Easter season will be inexorably linked.  While most folks may think Easter ended on Sunday, those of us in traditional churches, such as the Episcopal church of which I am a member, know that Easter is a season of 50 days.

The Easter season commemorates the time that Jesus walked on the earth following his resurrection and ends on Pentecost.  That was the day that Jesus appeared among the 12 disciples, hiding in a locked room because of their fear of arrest and punishment due to their association with Jesus.

So, what does this have to do with stem cells? As I've pondered how I can ensure this process can be used for God's purposes, the timing of the transplant and its physical and emotional challenges, I first thought that this was an extra season of Lent this year--"Lent 2 2013:  This time He REALLY means it.".  Lent recalls the period of time that Jesus wandered the desert for 40 days, fasting and being tempted by the Devil.  In modern church practice, the faithful are called into a period of penance, reflection, sacrifice and good works to prepare for the coming of Christ at Easter.

But, as I've prayed and pondered, I really believe that my process through the transplant is much more aligned with the Easter season than the Lenten season.   The Easter season is the time that Jesus appeared to the disciples and instructed them on how to transition from how they expected things to be, to how things really turned out.  And that's exactly what I need during this transplant time.

I had my expectations of a long, healthy life, a steadily progressing career, and the strength and stamina to do whatever I desired.  While my diagnosis may not prevent that, it has made it much less certain than I expected.  So, as I go through this transplant period during the Easter season, I will think about the risen Jesus appearing to his disciples and showing them the way forward.  It may not be the way I had planned but I trust it will be the way that will lead me to the place, and person, God wants me to be.  And, ultimately, that's the best place to be.

Tomorrow I go back for my second day of stem cell harvesting.  You wouldn't think lying in a bed hooked up to a machine for 6 hours would be tiring, but it is.  It's also very uncomfortable because you have to keep the "output" arm totally straight and squeeze a ball like you do when giving blood....but for 6 hours.  There are also a lot of chemicals that get mixed with the blood before its returned that made me feel really strange.  I'm NOT looking forward to tomorrow.

But, as Amy reminded me, there are many diagnosed with this illness that don't have the option of a stem cell transplant and the hope of full remission that comes with it.  Tomorrow's harvesting is another necessary step that puts me one step closer to that remission.  So, its time to suck it up and move ahead.

As Robert Frost said, "The best way out is always through."

No comments: