Pages

Sunday, December 01, 2013

What a difference a year makes!

I had a wonderful Thanksgiving this year.  In so many ways, it was like last year's Thanksgiving--renting a cabin in Hocking Hills, spending time with Alan's brother David and his family, beautiful hiking and lots of good food.  But in so many ways it was totally different because of how I felt.  Last year, I was sick but didn't have a diagnosis and spent a lot of time talking to David, who is an Internal Medicine physician, about what might be wrong with me.  I was feeling poorly and worried about what might be wrong with me.

This year, it was a wonderful time. Not only was David and his family there, but the sisters of David's wife Karen and their families were there, too.  These are the ladies that I bake Christmas cookies with each year--Cookiepalooza.  They have become my sisters over the years and were instrumental in supporting me through my transplant and recovery.  They sent wonderful notes, gifts and care packages to me, visited me often, cooked for Alan and Claire and lifted us all up in prayer.

There were 13 of us in a wonderful cabin located near some of the most scenic hiking in Ohio.  The cabin was great, the scenery was beautiful and the company was even better.  It's located about 1-1/2 hours away from Columbus.  Alan, Claire and I got down there Thursday morning because Alan worked Wednesday night.  I picked him up from work Thursday morning and we drove down.

It was so emotional after the prayer before dinner.  To think about where I was a year ago and everything I've been through in that year and how far I've come was overwhelming.  And then the hugs and words of love and thanks from my adopted sisters, my brothers in law and, of course, Alan and Claire, brought out the true spirit of Thanksgiving.

Friday, we went on a 10-mile hike through three of the park's areas--Old Man's Cave to Cedar Falls to Ash Cave.  It was a beautiful day with a high in the 30s and a clear blue sky.  You can see the photos here.

It was a wonderful time with loving family enjoying so much for which we are thankful.


No comments: