Pages

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Pelotonia!

Since 2008, Columbus has had a bike ride designed to raise funds for cancer research called Pelotonia.  It's raised more than $50 million since it started.  I've known several folks who have done it and have contemplated riding in the past but....well, you know how it goes..lots of excuses.

I have a few colleagues at work who have ridden and vowed that this year, I would ride.  I've done a fair amount of cycling in the past.  The only organized ride I've been on was the 210-mile, 2-day Tour of the Scioto River Valley...during which I crashed 23 miles from the finish line and broke my arm but completed the ride anyway.  Yes, I really wanted that finisher's certificate.  You can read all the gory details here.)

Back in August, I went on a real ride with Al.  Now, I had been doing some rehab rides on Claire's cruiser bike in June and July as part of Drill Sergeant Al's Convalescence Home (service mark "You'll FEEL The Love!) but August was the only time I've been on my bike since fall of 2012.  I was able to do 9.5 miles at an average rate 12.4 mph.  OK, not exactly 100-mile Pelotonia worthy but that was four months after my stem cell transplant. I'm hoping I'll do a lot better the next time I get on the bike.

Pelotonia has routes you can ride that range from 25 miles to 180 miles.  I've decided I'm going to do the 100-mile route.  I've needed a challenge to get me back to the physical condition I was in before I got ill and I think this will do it.  I'm starting to workout with more strength and endurance guessing I'm back to about 75% of my recent peak.  I'll get the bike on the trainer in the basement and will have a chance to catch up on my Netflix queue since I'll be spending 60-90 minutes down there several times each week.

While the funding for cancer research is important, this ride symbolizes so much more for me...a way to show my strength has returned and to show thanks for all who have helped me along the way.  

You'll see a lot about the ride between now and when its held in August. Please consider supporting my ride.  Click here to donate.

No comments: