Pages

Friday, October 22, 2004

New Music

I went on a virtual musical journey tonight, courtesy of a guy I met at a conference last week. My Aussie friend Luke told me about an Austrailan band called "Jet". I acquired some of their music and really like them. "Are You Gonna Be My Girl" reminds me of The Strokes while "Take It or Leave It" and "Get Me Outta Here" has more of a traditional rock feel. With those good songs, why oh why, are they going to play this sappy piano ballad "Look What You've Done" when they're on Conan O'Brien?!?!?

I searched them on
www.musicplasma.com and saw them near "Kings of Leon" musically so I acquired some of their songs, too. More good stuff. After that, I went to their website www.kingsofleon.com to check some of their musical influences and saw a link for the bonnaroo festival--a three-day music festival in Tennessee that had Damien Rice, Ani DeFranco, David Byrne, Dave Matthews, Gov't Mule, Los Lobos and Robert Randolph & The Family Band (saw him open for John Mayer two years ago--good blues) among others performing last year. The 2003 show had Neil Young & Crazy Horse (seen them before--so great, you could feel the feedback in your chest and my ears buzzed for days!), Allman Brothers, Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (seen them too, great Jazz fusion band) , Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz (seen him, too. Fun live show.)

On Friday and Saturday, the music runs from noon-3AM. Last year, it was the three days before my birthday. If they have one in 2005, I think Amy and I will be going on a mother-daughter musical roadtrip. That will be a blast!
www.bonnaroo.com.

No comments: