Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2004

"Train up a child..

in the way she should go and when she is old, she will not depart from it."

Wise words from Proverbs that provide insight into a variety of parenting subjects. Today, Claire showed glimpses that I am training her up properly. We were running errands and listening to a mix CD I had made of some obscure stuff. "Desire" by Ryan Adams was playing. Its a stripped down sound featuring guitar, harmonica and raw vocals. After the song ended, she asked "Mom, play that again." No Kidz Bop or Britney Spears for my girl.

Later, she was riding her bike and I was rollerblading. I was telling her to go faster but she wouldn't so I decided I'd let her keep up with me. As soon as I started to pass her, she'd pick up the pace to make sure she stayed in the lead. Those hours watching the Tour de France over the summer have given her an understanding of the value of a good sprint. She'll be on the multi-speed mountain bike and we'll be riding out to the Everglades by next spring.

The girl has got it together and she's only 7.

No comments: