Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

How P90X and Renee Phillips Saved My Life

This is a post I've been wanting to write for some time now.  As many of you know, I completed the P90X program in the winter of 2010.  I used P90X and Renee Phillips' workout classes at the Dublin Rec Center to stay in shape after completion.  I got into really good shape for a then 48-year--old.

I didn't stay in that good of shape but I was pretty trim and muscular up to the point I got sick.  As many of you know, the first sign I knew I was sick was when I discovered my liver was enlarged.  I found this one night when my stomach was hurting and I was pressing around on my abdomen and felt this hard mass.  I asked my husband (the ICU nurse) to come over and feel it and he said, "That's your liver and its not supposed to be like that."

As I've said before, I was so fortunate they caught my disease before it had progressed and caused permanent damage to my liver and kidneys.  If I hadn't been in such good shape and so trim, I probably would never have started on my quest for a diagnosis.  And once I did, it probably would have taken them longer to come up with a diagnosis without the key info that my liver was enlarged.  The only reason I, and my physicians, could feel that my liver was enlarged was because of all the exercise I had done in P90X and Renee's workout classes.

So, I don't expect everyone to go out and do P90X or go to Renee's classes (although you'll love the results if you do) but let me be an example.  According to my doctor, my recovery would be so much more difficult if I wasn't in such good shape going into the chemo and stem cell transplant.  And it was pretty damn hard.

I don't want to be a downer but take your physical fitness and your health seriously.  You never know how it will benefit you beyond just looking and feeling GREAT!

2 comments:

Tina Pfahler said...

Hi Kathy,
It's so encouraging to me to read how well you are doing.
I start my BMT earlier than planned. I will start the testing, cath placement, BM biopsy, shots to stim the stem cells the week of Sept 16th. Harvesting starts the next week, then admittance to the Cleveland Clinic on Sept 30th. I believe that is when I will get the much dreaded chemo.
That 1st week after chemo has me freaked out. Im a huge crybaby when it comes to puking.
Any tips about my 3 week stay in the hospital would be greatly appreciated.
I continue to send positive thoughts and prayers your way.
Sincerely,
Tina Pfahler

kat4gators said...

Tina,
I'll try to call you sometime next week so we can talk. My advice on the puking is listen to your body when it comes to eating. If you don't feel like eating, don't. I don't really remember puking all that much, really just more nausea. There are a lot of effective drugs that will prevent the puking if you take them when you start feeling nauseous.
My disease attacked my GI tract so bad that I was really underweight going into the transplant and then lost even more weight. (I'm 5'8" and weighed under 100 lbs when I left the hospital.) My family was on me to eat all the time.
I remember one morning I was so proud that I choked down about 2/3rds of a piece of french toast. Then I brushed my teeth. They want you to brush your tongue to prevent the development of thrush. I brushed my tongue, gagged and then puked up my hard work on the french toast. That was one of the lowest points of the whole process.
Stuff like that is going to happen but just remind yourself that you're that much closer to your recover and try to leave any bad things behind you.
You'll do great, I know it. I keep praying for you.
Talk to you soon.
Kathy