Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

I heart kidney doctors

Well the big thing today was the chemo at 4 but my favorite part was my appointment with my nephrologist, Dr. Parikh.  When dealing with a serious disease, you want your doctors to be highly skilled medical practitioners.  When I worked at a teaching hospital in Jacksonville that had 13 medical residency programs, I got to know a lot of medical residents.  I found that the sub-specialties tended to attract folks who were more comfortable with the science than the patient.

After meeting Dr. Bhatt on Saturday and being so impressed with his knowledge, care and compassion, I wondered if there could be 2 equally competent and compassionate sub-specialty physicians within the same group.  Now, given a choice, I want the scientist but personality, care and compassion just add a dose of comfort to a stressful situation.  I got the whole deal with Dr. Parikh.

He was very knowledgable about managing kidney function for amyloidosis patients AND very friendly and personable, too.  I had a great appointment with him. He said there's nothing that indicates I'm at risk for permanent kidney damage.  He was very thorough and comprehensive in his review of my case.  He was clear about explaining what was going on and what we needed to do about it.  We joked about my ski trip and staying safe and we talked about the benefits of a plant-based diet and eating more turmeric and garlic.  Plus, he didn't stick me.  I didn't have a blood draw at this appointment which was the first in a long time.  He told me that Dr. Efebera did all the dirty work.

When he introduced himself to me, he said that he felt that he knew me because Dr. Efebera had told him so much about me.  He also said that Dr. Efebera was moving ahead with a great deal of urgency.  That made me really happy.

That urgency is evident by the fact that I have gone from diagnosis to referral to first chemo in 14 days....14 days.  It seems so incredible!

The chemo was really easy.  Went to the central point of my treatment, 2nd Floor James Cancer Center.  Checked in, they called me back, took my vitals and put me in treatment room 13.  Initially, I was superstitious about room 13 but then I realized, "Yes, 13 is unlucky....unlucky for those sorry amyloid proteins in my body!"  Got settled in, IV started, blood drawn, key values checked, meeting with pharmacist, anti-nausea pill taken, dexamethasone (super-duper steroid) given and then the real magic potion was delivered...


The nurse pushed it into my IV line.   We took out the IV, cleaned me up and home I went.  In and out in 2.5 hours.  The crazy thing about this chemo drug is that I have to take precautions when I pee.  Its so toxic that it could aerosolize when I flush the toilet and cause damage to any skin or mucous membranes with which it comes into contact.  So I have to close the lid and flush the toilet twice to make sure the toxic pee is gone.  Still wondering how I'll manage this at work with no lids and auto-flushers.  Alan and I joked about leaving a piece of poster board in the bathroom labeled with "Kathy's Toxic Toilet Shield" with the toxic symbol on it.  Maybe??

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good.  One of my strengths when I've done the Strengthsfinder survey (can't remember which one) said that once I see a course of action, I am restless and anxious until I see progress.  Today was a great deal of progress.  I feel great spiritually, emotionally, mentally and physically.

When Alan asked me how I was doing tonight, I said, "Really good."  He said, "Most people feel really anxious and irritated after taking dexamethasone.  It will be just like you if it makes you more productive."  I replied, "Makin' lemonade, I'm just makin' lemonade from the lemons coming my way."

2 comments:

Ali - My Suitcase Full of Tricks said...

Toxic pee: I like it!

Anonymous said...

You are truly an inspiration! I Love You, Matt