Pages

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Rough day...let's go Chemo!!

Today was a rough day.  My abdominal bloating was the worst its been in a while.  It feels...and looks...like I have a 10 pound sack of potatoes shoved in my abdominal cavity.  Originally I thought it was just fluid from my under-functioning kidneys.  Turns out those damn amyloid proteins are all through my stomach and intestines and causing edema there (just like you might get in your ankles) and within some of the abdominal lining...I think.  I'm not exactly sure where it is but its all blowed up, to quote Alan.

It makes me so tired and uncomfortable.  I call it my amyloid baby whom I will name Amy Lloyd which will be awkward since I already have a child named Amy but hey, if George Forman can do it, why can't I?

Anyway, I have my first chemo appointment tomorrow at 4.  Dr. Efebera said it will make me feel better....go figure.  From what I understand, this chemo will help clear out some of the amyloid protein that has built up in my tissues.  I have been trying to understand the biochemistry behind it.  I get some of it but most of how it works is way over my head.  So, in order to have a good mental image while the chemo is going on to spur the Velcade aka bortezomib, to do its job, I have come up with this mental image...


Yes, that's the arcade game Galaga that took much of my time, money and possibly some career choices while I was in college.  I spent many hours with my friends Deb and Elaine enjoying an adult beverage while defending the galaxy.  So, I will see my little space ship Velcade going through my body zapping any amyloid protein that comes within its gun sights.  Of course, when I played Galaga, I usually had a beer or black russian sitting nearby.  Dr. Efebera said no alcohol until after the transplant so I'll just have to remember the taste and hope I can spur my gun ships on while totally sober.

I also have an appointment tomorrow morning with the Nephrologist to "get him on board" to quote Dr. Efebera's nurse practitioner.  I'm assuming its so he can have an understanding of my kidney function going into the high dose chemo that can cause kidney damage and to monitor my kidney function during recovery.  I told Dr. Bhatt on Saturday that I had the appointment with one of his colleagues, Dr. Samir Parikh, on Monday.  He said he would be at the clinic and would tell my nephrologist that he's watching out for me.  How cool is that!

So, up to this point, the roller coaster has been clicking up the tracks.  Tomorrow, I go over the first hill.  From what I understand, this one will be minor compared to the stem cell transplant hill.  But it's a start.

Hands are in the air!!  Let's go chemo!!

No comments: